UPL’s Natural Plant Protection (NPP) business unit initially introduces five new biostimulant products through partnership
UPL, a global leader in sustainable agriculture solutions, announces that its Natural Plant Protection (NPP) business unit has entered into a strategic collaboration with Kimitec’s MAAVi Innovation Center to deliver tailored biosolutions technologies in the United States. The collaboration with the Spanish multinational a recognized global leader in the research, development and marketing of biosolutions, and its R&D Center MAAVi, the largest dedicated to the research and development of molecules and natural compounds for the farming industry in Europe, and one of the largest biotechnology centers for natural agriculture in the world, broadens the offerings that UPL will deliver to support sustainable food production while driving greater profitability for growers.
The long-term agreement includes the development and delivery of innovative biosolutions products derived from natural sources to promote optimal plant development, improved yields and crop quality. MAAVi Innovation Center is providing the technology and Kimitec the distribution rights for five biostimulant products that UPL is marketing and distributing this year in multiple crops in the United States, including row crops, fruits and vegetables and tree nuts.
UPL is the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of biosolutions, and last year launched Natural Plant Protection (NPP), a new global business unit championing UPL’s comprehensive portfolio of natural and biologically derived agriculture inputs and technologies.
“Biosolutions are a core pillar of our global purpose and work to reimagine sustainability for food systems, for farmers and for our environment,” says Jim Petta, UPL Natural Plant Protection Head, North America. “Building on the launch of NPP last year, we are proud to partner with Kimitec and its MAAVi IC to further expand our portfolio of products and technologies, and to offer new and sustainable solutions to address the challenges faced by growers.”
Kimitec is a Spanish biotechnology multinational company dedicated to the commercialization of biopesticides, biostimulants, prebiotics and probiotics for agriculture. Kimitec’s research center MAAVi is specialized in the research and development of biosolutions using a unique research method that taps into the synergies of different natural areas and provides solutions with the same efficacy as synthetic chemistry. “Kimitec’s research places productivity, environmental responsibility, and consumer health at the forefront of the equation”, said Francisco Manzano, SVP of Strategic Accounts at Kimitec.
“UPL is a recognized leader in sustainable agriculture solutions, and this partnership is a natural and important step in our mission to grow a better world naturally and responds to MAAVi’s Open Innovation philosophy, in which we offer full cooperation between organizations in order to generate strategic R&D&I and commercialization projects that accelerate the times of structural change in the current agri-food model and allow it to adapt to new regulatory requirements and environmental policies such as the ODS, the New Green Deal, etc. The partnership will establish a biosolutions product pipeline that has the best interests of U.S. growers in mind,” says Francisco Manzano, Vice President, Business Development & Strategic Accounts, Kimitec. “Combining with our significant innovations in research and development, as well as our unique botanical, microbiology and microalgae approach and capabilities, will mean better, targeted products that can go to market faster.”
The five biostimulant products that UPL is marketing this year through the partnership are all expected to have OMRI certification.
- ALFAÔ is a soil amendment based on the combination of two soil probiotics to optimize access to water and nutrients in crops. ALFA is registered for vegetable crops, strawberries and berries, tree nuts (almond and pistachio), pome fruit and citrus, vine crops and row crops.
- MOTOÔ is a plant nutritional supplement that supplies nitrogen to crops to help increase resistance to abiotic stress. It is registered for cotton, soybean, corn, vegetables, citrus and fruit trees, grapes, berries and root and tuber crops.
- VELEXI 2 is a fermented concentrate of soil prebiotics designed to promote the activity of soil microorganisms, leading to improved aeration, nutrient availability, and root development. It is registered for cereals, corn, sunflower, sugar beets, soybeans, pulses and cotton.
- SERENIS is a 100% natural and organic certified root enhancement liquid formulation. It aids in the development and improvement of the plant’s root system. Registered crops include greenhouse and outdoor vegetables, pome fruits, citrus, strawberries and vine crops.
- CEVOÔ is a liquid fertilizer developed to provide nitrogen to crops, supporting plant metabolism at critical stages for better plant performance. It is registered for certain vegetables, fruits, strawberries, vine crops and cereals.
“Through UPL’s OpenAg purpose, NPP is delivering differentiated solutions that address the challenges of growers — and society — for today and tomorrow,” Petta says. “The strategic agreement with Kimitec’s MAAVi Innovation Center is aligned with UPL’s OpenAg purpose — delivering innovation through our own grower-focused R&D and industry collaborations that bring enhanced value for all stakeholders.”
UPL is a leader in global food systems, as one of the top 5 agricultural solutions companies worldwide. With revenue of US$5 billion, UPL has a presence in 130 countries. With market access to 90 percent of the world’s food basket and a focus on high-growth regions, UPL represents a compelling value proposition for growers, distributors, suppliers and innovation partners in a consolidating market. UPL offers an integrated portfolio of both patented and post-patent agricultural solutions for various arable and specialty crops, including biological, crop protection, seed treatment and post-harvest solutions covering the entire crop value chain.